Course TypeElectrical, Mechanical, Technical Skills
QualificationCity and Guilds Accredited Certificate
To provide technicians with the confidence and ability to identify and fix common faults, reducing downtime. On completion of this course, delegates will quickly identify the root cause of a fault, using recognised methodologies that provide a logical thought process to common equipment failures.
Please note: City&Guilds Accredited Certificate is an option for this course
Is it right for me?
Engineers, maintenance teams, technicians and anyone who needs to diagnose and locate faults logically.
What will I learn?
The course will cover a series of practical fault finding exercises on pre-prepared rigs and theoretical examples and will focus on:
- Recognise and remove hazards
- Differentiate between Methodical and Logical approaches
- Apply the six step and half split approach to fault-finding
- Correctly differentiate between symptoms and causes
- Produce Flow charts to aid future fault finding
- What is root cause analysis?
- Why people don’t do use RCA & Three categories of root cause
- 5 stages ineffective RCA
- Define the Problem
- Collect Data
- Identify Possible Casual factors
- Identify the Root Cause
- Recommend and Implement Solutions
- 5 whys & Fishbone diagram
List and demonstrate their ability to apply logical fault finding techniques to plant and equipment
What are the benefits?
- Reduced downtime through faster fault finding and preventing faults recurring
- Motivation and development of staff with improved staff retention
- Formal targeted training with direction and end focussed on business need
- Encouragement of teamwork through coach and assessor communicating more with opposite trade
- Re-focussed of training budget
- SOPs and training packages are written around business need
- Safe job; Timely job; Right first time job
- Improved productivity as downtime is reduced due to increased skills base
- Cross cover of skills in event of absenteeism, sickness etc.
- Nationally recognised qualifications where appropriate; skills are validated
- Training records meet and exceed those required by HSE etc.