The link between maintenance and asset management
Maintenance is so much more than just fixing equipment when it breaks. It is about managing your operations and physical assets (equipment, machinery, buildings, transport) in order to:
- Reduce your costs significantly and deliver value for money
- Ensure you have reliable equipment, imperative for any lean manufacturing strategy
- Improve plant performance and increase efficiency
Managing your assets
If you are responsible for managing your company’s physical assets – which may include fixed and moveable plant, vehicles, long-term hire equipment, stock and spares, you need to know the following:
- Are all the assets on your computerised maintenance management system identified, registered and recorded?
- How many are not currently being used?
- Do you know which assets (should they fail) present the greatest risk to your business in terms of: Business continuity, Health & Safety, Environment, Lost production output?
- Do you know the condition of all your assets and their level of reliability?
If you answered NO to any of the above questions then you are missing an opportunity to reduce your maintenance costs and improve your plant’s performance which will almost certainly result in lower production costs and a higher profit margin on product sales. Please contact MCP for an assessment of your asset management.
Asset Management and PAS 55
It is impossible to talk about asset management without talking about PAS 55. PAS 55 defines assset management as the “the optimum way of managing assets to achieve a desired and sustainable outcome at minimum total cost of ownership through their whole life cycle.” PAS 55 encourages “proper” asset management, thinking and planning about the entire life cycle of your assets.